EU Settlement Scheme
The following is adapted from an email from SU International Officer Rhea Arora, sent on 29.06.2020
Part of my *exciting* responsibilities is to remind EU, other EEA (Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) and Swiss citizens to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK after June 2021. If this is not relevant to you, please ignore this email. (Note that you do not have to apply if you are an Irish citizen or have indefinite leave to remain. See: https://www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-citizens-families)
Some key points:
- Deadline: 30 June 2021.-Cost: Free
- Specific details on who should apply: https://www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-citizens-families/eligibility
- If your application is successful, you will get either settled or pre-settled status provided you have started living in the UK by 31 December 2020. Most of you will get pre-settled status. For details: https://www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-citizens-families/what-settled-and-presettled-status-means
- What you’ll need to apply:
- Proof of Identity (eg: valid passport, national identity card)
- Digital photo of your face
- Proof of Residence in the UK (eg: enrollment certificate, battels)
- The application takes 6-8 weeks to process and might be delayed due to Covid-19.
- National ID cards will not work for entry to the UK after 1 January 2021. Valid passports will continue working.
- Some advice: If you get the pre-settled status, you can stay in the UK for a further 5 years from the date of issuance. You will need to have been in the UK for at least 6 months in any 12 month period for 5 years in a row, if you are looking to eventually convert this to settled status. If so, it might be better to apply in August-September (as opposed to right now) as –if Michaelmas 2020 were to be online– it might be difficult to reach 6 months of residence if you are currently overseas.
*I have attached the EU Settlement Scheme presentation given by the university to this email. This takes you through the application process step by step.* see document above
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me and I will do my best! Alternatively, you can email email@example.com
Wadham SU International Officer
(PS: Thanks to Marcelina Jagielka for ‘some advice’!)